There are over 17,000 leaseholder households in Southwark who are represent three bodies who promote the interests of homeowners. LAS2000 is the only one that is truly independent, run and funded by its members not the Council.
We are leaseholders and freeholders of Southwark ex-local authority properties and our aim is to ensure that Southwark Council, its managing agent(s) and partners, provide leaseholders with a better service and better value for money. We raise awareness amongst leaseholders as to how to oppose costly and unnecessary service charges and bills for major works. As well as the only independent professional body for leaseholders and freeholders of Southwark, LAS is dedicated to improving services performance and professionalism. What LAS does, what do you get as a Member and why is it important:
- Stands for the right of Leaseholders: We are in a major works investment cycle, i.e. refurbishment of properties, some leaseholders have already received bills for upwards of £50k. This is outrageous and sometimes due to the procurement and contract management processes established by Southwark Council. Leaseholders and their families are the ones that suffer. LAS acts as the leaseholder voice trying to seek redress and a fair price for decent quality work. We also proud to say that we have also been successful in helping as well.
- Lobby: LAS attempts to influence decisions made by officials in government and local government, in trying to influence legislation on behalf of leaseholders and freeholders of Southwark. LAS proactively contacts the bodies therein and takes part in relevant consultations, both nationally and locally. Me talk to Councillors and MP’s of all parties to get them to work for and stand up for the leaseholders and freeholders of their constituencies and wards. Again, we are very proud to say that we have also been very successful and have started the wheel of change for our members and all leaseholders and freeholders of Southwark.
- Legal advice, review and assistance: As, yet LAS is not able to give legal advice directly. But, as an active member we do offer a dedicated telephone advice line where homeowners can receive initial advice on various housing issues through a third party. Initial advice is defined as the provision of outline, summary, legal advice enabling you to make an informed decision as to what appropriate action you may need to take next.
- Tax and inheritance. We offer all members a free Will as well as a dedicated telephone advice line where homeowners can receive initial advice on various Tax and Inheritance issues issues through a third party. Enabling you to make an informed decision as to what appropriate action you may need to take.
- Be connected As a member you will entitled to attend meeting, discussion, networking, conferences and social that we hold throughout the borough during the year. Being part of Las means you are not a loan. Our strength and yours is by being part of a fully independent membership that makes change and moulds it own future.
What can you do ? Become a member. LAS needs your support in a number of ways:
- Join and stay connected.
- Attend meetings where possible.
- Provide us with information and/or documented evidence of outrageous bills or poor practice.
- Become a member. http://www.las2000.org/about-las2000/how-join-las200/